This module provides experience in the interpretation and
management of diabetic renal disease through clinically rich
This module will allow you to:
- Demonstrate understanding of the importance of hypertension as
part of the global cardiovascular risk assessment in diabetes.
- Appreciate the importance of intensive blood pressure control
in diabetes in order to reduce vascular risk and end-organ renal
- Demonstrate understanding of the concept of microalbuminuria as
a marker of incipient diabetic nephropathy in diabetes.
- Have detailed knowledge of the principles of stepwise
pharmacological treatment of hypertension in diabetes, especially
the role of renin-angiotensin blockade.
- Recognise the clinical presentation of nephropathy and
renovascular disease in diabetes.
- Recognise common complications of renal disease in diabetes
including disorders of bone metabolism and anaemia.